Healthcare Professional Star Award
In November 2016, as we celebrated our 10th Anniversary, we launched our Healthcare Professional Star Award to recognise a health professional who has made an outstanding contribution to the experience of their patients or carers. Nominations could be made by anyone affected by pancreatic cancer or by a health professional who wanting to nominate a colleague. We looked for someone who has made a real difference. This included for example:
- Providing additional support to patients and their families through a support group or other ways
- Improving patient care by initiating something new, e.g. introducing fast-track systems, developing new information and communications, follow-ups
- Offering additional support to a patient who might be recently diagnosed
- Going the ‘extra mile’ and doing something which made a huge difference to someone going through the healthcare system with pancreatic cancer.
We were delighted by the response and our overall winner was Dr Imran Ismail, a GP working in Bedfordshire.
The following healthcare professionals were highly commended by our panel:
- Guiseppe Garcea (Consultant Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Surgeon)
- Lena Loia (HPB Clinical Nurse Specialist)
- Duncan Spalding (Consultant in Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery)
- Prof Paula Ghaneh (Senior Lecturer)
- Dr Rob Jones (GP)
- Charmaine Graham (Nursing Representative)
- Deidra Aimee (Palliative care)
- Dr John Wood (GP)