Some general tips for diet and pancreatic cancer
If your pancreatic cancer and treatment are causing problems eating or are losing weight, the following tips may help.
- If you can’t manage large portions, try eating little and often – for example three small meals and three snacks a day.
- Pancreatic enzyme supplements can help improve symptoms and may make you feel better. Don’t forget to take them when you eat, but don’t worry if it takes time to work out the right dose for you.
- Every mouthful helps. If you feel sick or very full, have a break and eat some more an hour or so later.
- Eating even a small amount can be a big achievement – try to set realistic goals for yourself.
- Freeze individual portions of homemade dishes that are quick to defrost when you do feel like eating.
- How food is presented on the plate can help it look more tempting.
- Gentle support and encouragement from family can help.
More tips for managing different pancreatic cancer symptoms
- Tips for a build-up diet
- Tips for coping with nausea and vomiting
- Tips for coping with taste changes
- Tips for coping with a dry mouth
- Tips for coping with diarrhoea
Updated November 2017
To be reviewed November 2019