Campaign with us
Support our 'Key to Survival' goals
Our new Key to Survival campaign aims to ensure that all pancreatic cancer patients in the UK can get the most effective treatments available on the NHS to help them survive longer. You can read more about the Key to Survival goals, together with background about the campaign, here.
Currently, we are focussing on the fact that the system for approving new drugs for use on the NHS in England - through the Cancer Drugs Fund (CDF) and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) - is not working for people with pancreatic cancer and needs to change. NICE also influences decisions about which drugs are approved in Wales and Northern Ireland, so this is an important decision for patients there as well.
NHS England and NICE are currently consulting on how the CDF will operate beyond 31st March 2016, together with some small changes to the way NICE decides which new drugs are approved. The outcome of the consultation, will affect decisions on what treatments are likely to be approved for use on the NHS in future. As part of that consultation we have called for:
- NICE to introduce a new, separate assessment route for rare cancers, and cancers with the worst survival rates, like pancreatic cancer.
- NICE Technology Appraisal Committees to take into account the relative survival gain offered by a new drug if it is for a cancer with clearly identified unmet need, like pancreatic cancer. The average survival time for a metastatic pancreatic cancer patient is just 2-6 months - if a new drug comes along that can offer two extra months for those patients, it represents a relatively large survival gain for patients and their families.
- A much more fundamental overhaul of the NICE appraisal system.
You can help us push for these changes by contacting your MP and asking them to support our calls for change to the processes NICE uses to approve new drugs for use on the NHS. You can download a template email/letter here and you can find the contact details for your local MP here.
Let others know what you have done, and encourage them to also write to their MP. We need as many people writing to their MPs possible so please share this link http://bit.ly/1Rt0WsH on social media and asking others to write to their MP. If tweeting please use #keytosurvival to help spread the word.
There are also other ways to get involved with our campaigning activity:
- If you have been affected by pancreatic cancer, share your story and use your experience to improve outcomes for everyone affected by pancreatic cancer.
- Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter - add your voice to our communities.
- If you are interested in being contacted in the future about getting involved in campaigning activity, please register your interest.
- Keep checking these pages and our Facebook and Twitter communities, as we'll be updating regularly with ways you can get involved. Alternatively, sign up for our campaign email updates to make sure you don’t miss out on new activities by emailing email@example.com.
If you have any questions or queries, or would like more information please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 3535 7090.
Want to do more than this? Why not take a look at our Get Involved pages for more volunteering opportunities.