Join our new initiative to design an optimal care pathway for pancreatic cancer
If you've been recently affected by pancreatic cancer – either as someone with a diagnosis, or a family member/friend – we’re really keen to hear from you.
Pancreatic Cancer UK wants to make sure everyone with pancreatic cancer has access to the best health service wherever they live in the UK to allow them the best chance at a long, happy life. Involving people with lived experience of pancreatic cancer in our work helps us to ensure that people with pancreatic cancer are at the heart of all we do. It roots our work in an understanding of people’s real needs, making sure the voices of people with pancreatic cancer are heard and amplified by decision makers across the country.
As someone who has recent experience of a pancreatic cancer diagnosis, we would like you to join our initiative to design an Optimal Care Pathway for pancreatic cancer; a step-by-step guide detailing what best practice in diagnosis, support, treatment and care for pancreatic cancer looks like.
This is a part-time volunteering role that will give you the opportunity to partner with clinical experts from all levels of the NHS across the UK and help them understand the challenges in the diagnosis, support, treatment and care of pancreatic cancer. We will work altogether to define what best care for pancreatic cancer should look like.
We are looking for people who received, or have looked after someone with, a recent pancreatic cancer diagnosis (from 2018 onwards) to get involved with this initiative, across all four UK nations and truly representative of all sections of society. We are an inclusive organisation committed to developing a diverse workforce and are looking for people who can demonstrate dedication to our cause and values.
You will be supported in your role by members of our Policy, Intelligence and Campaigning team, and will be kept informed of other volunteering opportunities within the charity.
You will help us to
- Ensure that development of the pathway ultimately reflects what a patient and carer with personal connection should expect in diagnosis, support, treatment and care from NHS across the UK
- Ensure that healthcare professionals understand what challenges patients with pancreatic cancer and their loved ones experience
- Work with Pancreatic Cancer UK and healthcare professionals and help the development of plans on how to address key issues and gaps in the pathway
Examples of general tasks will include
- Attending virtual or in-person meetings, events and workshops to provide advice on issues that affect people with pancreatic cancer
- Sharing advice on what a patient living with and beyond should expect during their diagnosis, support, treatment and care (including follow up care)
- Review remotely papers and reports and ensure that they meet the needs of patients with pancreatic cancer
- Respond to questionnaires/surveys aiming to gather evidence on best practice and key issues in the experience and care of people with pancreatic cancer
- Opportunity to participate in campaigning development on issues of the pathway that need interventions to affect change
- Opportunity to represent the Charity at events and meetings
We are looking for a volunteer who
We particularly invite applications from people with one or more of the following experiences or qualities:
- Recent personal experience of pancreatic cancer (from 2018 onwards); you may have had surgery or are currently receiving treatment e.g. radiotherapy / chemotherapy or participating in a clinical trial
- Personal experience of currently receiving, or supporting someone in, end-of-life care
- Personal experience of the challenges that someone with pancreatic cancer faces in supportive care e.g. nutritional, physical and psychological support
- A willingness to share your personal experience with the other members working on this initiative
- An interest in helping the pancreatic cancer community to develop and improve pancreatic cancer healthcare services across the UK
What can we offer you?
- The opportunity to make an invaluable contribution to the work of Pancreatic Cancer UK to Transform Care Everywhere
- Meeting new people with a shared experience of pancreatic cancer
- Meeting with people who deliver and/or develop healthcare services for pancreatic cancer
- Reimbursement of reasonable expenses in line with our Volunteer Expenses Policy
Term: We expect that each volunteer will have the opportunity to join different engagement activities to help design and implement the Optimal Care Pathway for pancreatic cancer between December 2021 and March 2023 through attending meetings, events and reviewing papers.
Hours: Meetings and events will take place either virtually or in-person during weekdays, anytime between 9am and 5pm. Reviewing papers and reports activities can take place remotely and flexibly based on your time and capacity.
If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com
Please express your interest by filling in the form below.