Celebrate and remember your loved one on 1st December by lighting a candle in their memory and connecting with others in our dedicated Facebook group.
Light a Candle in Memory – 1st December
Raise £50 on your In Memory fundraising page with your family and together you can help fund research breakthroughs to ensure there is hope for families affected by pancreatic cancer in the future.
Terms & Conditions
The following rules and conditions of entry (the “Rules”) relate to ‘Light a Candle in Memory – 1st December 2022’ (the “Event”) organised by Pancreatic Cancer UK (“PCUK”).
Conditions of entry
- By signing up to be a part of this Event and the Facebook group, you agree to respect and follow these Terms and conditions (including any amended versions of the Terms and conditions as amended by Pancreatic Cancer UK).
- Your details will be passed onto Pancreatic Cancer UK from Facebook and Give Panel, so that Pancreatic Cancer UK can contact you about the Event.
- Money pledged via online fundraising pages is collected automatically. Participants may also pay in fundraising monies or donations by calling the supporter care team on 020 3535 7090 with credit or debit card details to make a payment over the phone; or
sending a cheque made payable to “Pancreatic Cancer UK” stating your full name and referencing the Event.
All participants have a legal responsibility to ensure that all fundraising monies/donations received in connection with the Event are paid to PCUK as soon as possible after the Event. Fundraising monies/donations which are raised offline must be paid by no later than 15th December 2022, attached to a sponsorship form which can be downloaded at www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/sponsorshipform. PCUK must receive the full amount of sponsorship money donated to you. Money received in sponsorship for the Event should not be used to cover the cost of travel to/from the Event, or equipment/clothing for the Event.
- Should you decide to withdraw from the Event, all sponsor forms and sponsor money collected must be forwarded to PCUK or, following a request from the sponsors, returned to the sponsors to the extent reasonably possible. You will contact PCUK immediately if you need to withdraw from the Event.
- You must adhere to the rules and regulations of the Event as stated in the Facebook group. For reference, please visit www.facebook.com/groups/468878378585684/manage_rules
- Participants aged under 18 must provide contact details of their parent or legal guardian, and must receive permission from that parent or guardian to take part in the Event and receive communication from PCUK about this Event.
- Any personal information you share in the Facebook group is at your own risk. Please make sure you update and manage your own privacy settings as you see fit.
HEALTH & SAFETY AND MEDICAL
- Participants enter the Event at their own risk. PCUK shall not be liable for any injury or loss to persons or their property that might occur as a result of their participation in the Event, other than in respect of any injury or loss arising as a result of our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in these Rules shall operate to exclude or limit any liability which cannot legally be excluded or limited.
- Before you light your tealight we suggest you read through the Fire Services’ candle safety advice to ensure you are lighting your tealight in a safe way https://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/candles/
- The tealight is not suitable for children under the age of 12 years old – fire hazard
- Do not use flammable clothes while lighting the tea lights
- Do not leave the tea lights unattended while burning
I’ve just signed up, now what?
If you’ve joined the Facebook Group and filled in the form to receive your free candle, then the only other thing to do is set-up your Facebook In Memory fundraising page. Once you’ve completed these 3 steps, you’re all set for the 1st December. Why not post in the Facebook group to say hello and let everyone know who you’re lighting your candle in memory of.
Is there a registration fee?
No, it’s completely free to sign up.
How do I get my candle?
Fill in this sign up form here.
How do I join the Facebook Group?
Simply copy and paste this link into your browser and click the blue ‘Join Group’ button.
How can I find the Facebook Group rule & guidelines?
You can find them here.
What should I do on the 1st December?
- Light your candle during the evening at a time that works for you.
- Fill in the postcard that we’ve sent you. You can write your favourite memory or the name of the person you’re lighting your candle for.
- Share your In Memory fundraising page with your friends and family.
- Take a photo/video and share it in the Facebook Group with your favorite memory.
What will Pancreatic Cancer UK be doing on 1st December?
We will be in the Facebook group with you reading all your wonderful stories and answering any questions that you may have. We will be posting a special video in the group at 8pm and we’d love for you to join us.
What time does it start?
There is no set time, light your candle at any time during the evening that works for you. We will be posting a special video in the group at 8pm and we’d love for you to join us.
Where does it take place?
There is no set place, light your candle at home, work or wherever you may be.
I can’t do 1st December; can I choose another date?
Absolutely, light your candle on a date and time that works for you, we’d still love to see your photos/videos and story in the Facebook group.
How can I ensure I am lighting my candle in a safe way?
How long does the candle burn for?
It has a 4 hour burn time. Make sure you put out your candle when you leave the room and especially before bed.
I am finding remembering my loved one difficult, where can I find more information about bereavement support?
We know that this can be a difficult time and it is natural to feel a range of emotions after someone close to you has died from pancreatic cancer. There is support available to help you cope, we have included more information on our website here.
How old do I need to be?
Participants aged under 18 must provide contact details of their parent or legal guardian, and must receive permission from that parent or guardian to take part in the Event and receive communication from PCUK about this Event.
I want to share my story beyond this Facebook group and help raise awareness - who can I talk to?
We are keen to hear from people who are interested in sharing their story on our website, or with the media. You can read more about both of these opportunities on our website here.
What happens after the event?
We’ll count all the amazing donations you’ve collected and let you know how much was raised in total, you’ll receive an official thank you from us to share with everyone who donated to your page.
When do we find out how much is raised in total?
We’ll aim to give you an update before Christmas.
How long will the Facebook group stay open for?
We’ll keep the group open for a little while as we know not everyone will be able to light their candle on the 1st December. We’ll keep an eye out and we’ll give you plenty of warning before we close it.
Can I download a digital version of the postcard?
Yes, you can access it here.
Does the candle in my pack come with any safety instructions?
Yes, please see these instructions below:
- The candle is not suitable for children under the age of 12 years old – fire hazard
- Do not use flammable clothes while lighting the candle
- Do not leave the candle unattended while burning
When will my candle and postcard arrive?
Your welcome pack with your candle and postcard will take 7 -10 working days to arrive. The last day you can register for your candle is 17th November.
What is the postcard for?
You can use the space on the postcard to write the name of the person you’re lighting your candle in memory of, or include your favorite memory/story about them.
Can I request another candle for my friends and family?
Yes, you can contact our Supporter Care Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 3535 7090 and select option 2.
How do I set-up an In Memory fundraising page on Facebook?
Head to this link here and follow the steps to set-up your page.
I don’t want to use Facebook to fundraise. What can I use instead?
What can I use instead? You can set-up a Together in Memory Tribute page through our site here. It’s very easy to set-up and you’ll follow a step by step guide.
I have collected money in-memory of a loved one previously but on a different platform to Facebook, can I continue to use my own page to collect donations?
Absolutely, you don’t need to set-up a Facebook fundraising page, you can re-share the link to the page you already have set-up and let you friends and family know what you are doing.
I I have collected money in-memory of a loved one previously but on a different platform to Facebook, can I link the two if I set-up a Facebook fundraising page?
Unfortunately, yo=u won’t be able to link them together, but if you let us know we’ll be able to tally up your total and include it in your final thank you so you can see how much you raised.
My family member, or friend has also set-up an In Memory fundraising page on Facebook, can we link our two pages?
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to link them together, but if you let us know we’ll be able to tally up your totals and include it in your final thank you so you can see how much you raised together.
I feel uncomfortable fundraising or asking people for donations can I still take part?
Absolutely you’re still more than welcome to join us on 1st December to light your candle in memory of your loved one! If you’d like to make a one off donation you can do so on our website here Please make sure to fill in the comments box ‘In Memory Facebook Candle’ so we know where your donation has come from.
Where can I find a sponsorship form?
You can download a sponsorship form here.
How long will my In Memory Facebook fundraising page stay open?
Your fundraising page is automatically set to stay open for 3 years, but you can amend the end date at any point.
Is there a fundraising target?
There is no set fundraising target, anything you’re able to raise will be amazing!
How do I raise money?
Setting up a Facebook Fundraiser is the easiest way to raise money. You can set one up in just a few seconds here. And then it’s easy to share the page with your friends on Facebook.
I have collected some donations offline. How can I send this to you?
We do not accept cash donations, however if you do receive a cash donation, you can pay the funds into your personal bank account and make an online donation:
- Donate directly onto your fundraising page.
- Donate via our website. Please make sure to fill in the comments box ‘In Memory Facebook Candle’ so we can attribute the fundraising to your fundraiser.
Donate via bank transfer into our account:
Account Name: Pancreatic Cancer UK
Bank: Barclays Bank
Sort Code: 20-71-03
Account number: 83514536
Ref: Your Name
If you make a bank transfer please email email@example.com with your name, the date, amount of the donation and what it relates to – ‘In Memory Facebook Candle’ so we can attribute the donation to your fundraiser.
How will PCUK use the funds I raise?
The funds you raise will support world-leading research to find breakthroughs in new treatments and further improve the speed of diagnosis into pancreatic cancer. You will also be enabling us to be there for people now by supporting our services. Our friendly specialist nurses are only a call or email away. They are specialists in pancreatic cancer and can talk for as long as is needed.
My Facebook fundraiser has ended how do I reopen it?
Unfortunately, if your page has closed you can’t reopen it and we will not be able to log the funds raised on your previous page, on your new page due to Facebook restrictions. If you would like to continue your fundraising, you’ll need to set up a new page. We recommend writing a few words on the page noting how much you previously raised so that all your friends, family and donors can see. If the date hasn’t passed then you can update the end date of your fundraising page by following the below steps.
1) Go to your fundraising page
2) Click “Edit” under the main image and headline
3) Scroll down to the box that says “Set the End Date”
4) Select a date.
5) Then click Save in the top right