Advantages and disadvantages of stents
Speak to your doctor or nurse about the pros and cons of having a stent put in.
- The stent should open up the bile duct or duodenum and treat your symptoms.
- You should start feeling better quickly, normally within a couple of days of having the stent put in.
- Treating symptoms may mean you can start or continue treatment for the cancer.
- The stent may get blocked and the symptoms you had before may come back.
- There is a chance of an infection after having a stent put in. Infections can be treated with antibiotics.
- There is a small chance of your stent moving after it has been put in. If this happens it may need to be replaced.
- There is a small risk of complications such as a hole in the duodenum or bleeding.