Dealing with the practical impact of coronavirus

We explain how to get practical support to help you deal with the impact of coronavirus, as well as information on finances and returning to work.

As the governments across the UK update their advice about coronavirus (COVID-19), it is normal to have concerns about what this means for you if you or a loved one has pancreatic cancer. You may have questions about what the crrent situation means for you, and how to get support if you need it.

The guidance is slightly different in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Read the latest guidance and how it may affect you.

On this page we have information on getting practical support if you have pancreatic cancer, have been shielding, or if you are self-isolating. 

This information was correct when we published it, and we update it regularly – but things sometimes change quickly, so do check the guidance for where you live.

It’s important to think about what you would do if someone you live with gets symptoms of coronavirus, or is contacted as part of the NHS test and trace service. For example, is there someone else you could stay with for 10 days to keep you safe? Or would you still be able to get the support you need if a family member or close friend needed to self-isolate for 10 days? Planning these things in advance can be helpful.

Practical information to help you keep safe

If you have pancreatic cancer, you should take particular care as you may be more at risk of becoming seriously ill if you were to get coronavirus – especially if you have been shielding. Read more about shielding.

There are things that everyone can do to keep safe:

  • Wash your hands or use hand sanitiser often.
  • Practise social distancing when you go out and avoid going to places where you are less than 2 metres away from others.
  • Try to avoid touching your face, and you should also avoid touching surfaces when you are out. If you can’t avoid this, remember to use hand sanitiser.
  • Wear a face covering when you are out in public – especially in enclosed spaces.
  • You may want to plan to go out when you know if will be quieter, for example earlier or later in the day.
  • Avoid public transport if possible. If you need to use it, wear a face covering and try and sit near an open window. You should make sure you wash your hands or use hand sanitiser as soon as you finish your journey.
  • Use the self-checkout at the supermarket if possible, and pay with a contactless card if you have one. It is unlikely that you can catch coronavirus through food or food packaging. The GOV.UK website has more information about this, including advice on good food hygiene.
  • You could also try takeaways for cooked meals, or book a table outside at a café or restaurant.

[back to top]

Practical information people who were shielding

Shielding has now stopped across the UK – read more about what this means.

As things start to open up more, it is important to do what you feel comfortable with and to still ask for help if you need it. Let friends, family and neighbours know if you need any help or support – for example with picking up shopping or medicines. We have more information on this page about the practical support you can get if you are staying at home.

Speak to our specialist nurses

Always remember that if you have any questions about pancreatic cancer and coronavirus, you can speak to our specialist nurses on our free Support Line.

Speak to our nurses

[back to top]

Getting food and supplies

If you were shielding

Local community volunteer groups across the UK can support people who are self-isolating or staying at home. You can find local groups through the Covid-19 Mutual Aid UK website.

Shop online if you can, or ask others to collect shopping for you. Your local pharmacy may be able to deliver your medicines for you. If you need urgent food or care, contact your local council. 

The government still has support services for people who were shielding.

If you are self-isolating

You will need to self-isolate if you, or someone you live with:

  • has coronavirus symptoms
  • have tested positive for coronavirus
  • have been told to do so by the test and trace programme.

You will need to stay at home for 10 days – the NHS website has more information on when and how to self-isolate.

During this time, you will need to avoid face-to-face contact with anyone outside your household, and so may need help and support to get food and supplies. Try to order food through your supermarket’s delivery service. Some of the support services for people shielding may also be helpful – for example, get in touch with local support groups through Covid-19 Mutual Aid UK website or the NHS Volunteer Responders. If you are in need or urgent food or supplies, you should contact your local council.

  • There are other ways to get support while staying at home. Ask friends, family or neighbours if they can get supplies for you. If you need to avoid seeing people, ask them to leave the supplies on your doorstep.
  • If you are having supplies delivered, leave a note on your door saying where to leave the delivery so that you can avoid the delivery person.
  • If you need prescription medicines, you could ask someone to collect them for you, or contact your pharmacy to see if they can deliver. You should be able to order repeat prescriptions through your GP’s website or by phone or by using the NHS Health at Home service.

[back to top]

If you need medical help that’s not for coronavirus

If you need medical help for pancreatic cancer or another condition that isn’t coronavirus, contact your medical team or GP and follow their advice. Don’t go to your GP or hospital in person unless asked to do so.

You can also speak to our specialist nurses with any questions about pancreatic cancer.

If you are having chemotherapy and have symptoms of a fever or feel unwell this could be an infection or it could be coronavirus. Contact the emergency number your chemotherapy team will have given you for advice. If you can’t get through, contact your medical team. You could also try the consultant’s secretary or hospital switchboard if you struggle to get through to your medical team. If you still can’t get through, call 111, or 999 if it’s an emergency.

It might be helpful to keep a list of key phone numbers near the phone – including family, friends and neighbours who can help out, your medical team at the hospital, the emergency number if you are having chemotherapy, your GP surgery and NHS 111.

[back to top]


The advice around work is changing. People in Northern Ireland who are clinically extremely vulnerable are still being advised to work from home where possible. People in England, Scotland and Wales are not being asked to do this by the government anymore. But you may want to speak to your employer about working from home.

If you can’t work from home, you should go to work. This includes people who were shielding. There is more information about this on the government websites:

If you have pancreatic cancer, you have rights at work and are protected from discrimination. Your employer must make reasonable adjustments to allow you to continue working if you want to. Macmillan Cancer Support have more information about this.

If you need to go to work

If you do need to go into work, your employer should speak to you about this. They should put measures in place to keep you safe and explain these to you. These measures may include social distancing, hand washing, taking regular coronavirus tests, and frequent cleaning at work.

If you or anyone in your household has symptoms of coronavirus, or you have been told to self-isolate by the NHS, you should stay home and not go in to work. If you feel well enough and are able to, you can work from home. If you have a low income and can’t work because you are self-isolating, you may be entitled to a payment of £500 through the Test and Trace Financial Support Scheme.

You can work in someone else’s home, or you can have work done in your own home. But if someone has coronavirus symptoms, they shouldn’t work in someone else’s house. You can read the government guidance on this here.

If you are concerned about going to work and your risk of getting coronavirus, you should speak to your employer about this. There are measures they can put in place to keep you safe. If you would like advice, you can contact ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) or your trade union, if you are a member of one. You can also contact the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or HSE Northern Ireland for more advice.

[back to top]

Getting support with your finances

Coronavirus may have a big impact on your finances if it has affected whether you or your family can work.

If you have pancreatic cancer and the cancer or treatment means you are too sick to work, you may be entitled to statutory sick pay. You may also be able to get statutory sick pay if you are self-isolating because you or someone you live with has coronavirus symptoms or tested positive for coronavirus.

You can find information about statutory sick pay on GOV.UK if you live in England, Scotland or Wales. If you live in Northern Ireland, you can find this information on nidirect. You may also be able to get some benefits if you are eligible. Read about this on GOV.UK.

You may also be able to get support from your energy or telephone supplier – read more on the GOV.UK website.

Where can I find out more?

There is lots of information available about what financial support you might be able to get.

  • GOV.UK has information about government measures and financial support.
  • The Money Advice Service has information about what you are entitled to and things you can do to make sure you get what you are entitled to and plan your finances.
  • Citizens Advice can provide information and advice about what coronavirus means for your finances.
  • Macmillan Cancer Support have financial information for people with cancer, including information about coronavirus and finances. They also have financial advisors on their Support Line.

[back to top]

Scams and misinformation related to coronavirus

There have been reports of scams related to coronavirus, including emails or scammers pretending to be health officials. Always follow the usual precautions against fraud and scams, and be vigilant. You can read more on the GOV.UK website.

If you are contacted through the NHS contact tracing service, there is information on the NHS website about making sure it’s genuine. They also explain what they will ask you – and what they won’t ask you.

There is also a lot of inaccurate information online and on social media. Always follow the government information for the country you live in. If you live in Scotland, there is also an SMS Shielding Service you can sign up to. Reputable charities are also a good source of accurate information.

If you receive information and you’re not sure if it’s genuine, you could speak to our specialist nurses. They can discuss what you have received and whether it might be official.

Updated: 4 October 2021