What are the advantages and disadvantages of chemotherapy?
There are pros and cons of chemotherapy – speak to your doctor or nurse about these. You might find our questions to ask your doctor or nurse helpful.
- Chemotherapy may shrink your cancer or slow down its growth, which may help you live longer and help with your symptoms.
- For a small number of people with borderline resectable cancer, chemotherapy may shrink the cancer enough to make surgery to remove the cancer possible.
- If you have chemotherapy after surgery, this may reduce the chances of the cancer coming back.
- You may have more regular check-ups and contact with your doctor when you are having chemotherapy – some people find this reassuring.
- Chemotherapy can cause side effects.
- You will need to go to the hospital often for treatment, which can be tiring.
- Chemotherapy affects everyone differently, and may not work so well for some people.
Read more information
Updated August 2019
Review date August 2021