Dietetic management and pancreatic cancer
2nd December 2021, 09.00 - 11.30, Virtual via Zoom
Join our free, virtual educational session to explore nutritional assessment and management of pancreatic cancer.
On the agenda
- 09.00 – 09.25: Welcome and introduction to pancreatic cancer – Rachel Richardson, Specialist Pancreatic Cancer Nurse, Pancreatic Cancer UK
- 09.25 – 09.50: Nutritional assessment – Helen Webster, Oncology Team Lead – Dietetics (UGI & HPB Specialist), Ninewells Hospital, Dundee
- 09.50 – 10.00: Questions
- 10.00 – 10.25: Pancreatic exocrine insufficiency and pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy – Lauren Roberts, HPB and UGI lead oncology Dietitian, Clatterbridge Cancer Centre
- 10.25 – 10.35: Questions
- 10.35 – 10.40: Short break
- 10.40 – 11.15: Nutritional management – specialist dietitian to be confirmed
- 11.15 – 11.25: Questions
- 11.25 – 11.30: Close
What will this session cover?
- Overview of cachexia, sarcopenia, malnutrition and frailty
- Malabsorption and how this impacts on cachexia, sarcopenia, malnutrition and frailty
- How to assess nutritional status
Pancreatic exocrine insufficiency (PEI) and pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy (PERT):
- PEI – Causes, consequences, symptoms and diagnosis
- PERT – Who needs it, what it does, how to take it effectively, titrating the dose, troubleshooting and differential diagnosis
- Managing appetite loss
- Diet fortification and oral nutritional supplements
- Enteral feeding
- Stent dietary advice
- Surgery – including pre- and post-surgery
- Type 3c diabetes overview and treatment
Who is this session for?
This session is suitable for all healthcare professionals working with pancreatic cancer patients. We’ll provide detailed, grounding knowledge of the key areas within dietetic management of pancreatic cancer, and as such, this session is particularly relevant for (though not limited to):
- nurses and ward staff working in district general hospitals,
- community-based nurses, dietitians and other health professionals,
- student dietitians and nurses.
What platform will this session be hosted on?
This event will be held on Zoom. After you book, you will receive an email via Zoom with the joining details. You can join on a computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone – any device with an internet connection.
If you don’t have access to the internet, you can also dial in from a standard telephone.
Will the session be recorded?
Yes. After the event, we will email all registrants with a link to the recording and presentation slides. So if you’re unable to join the live session, you will be able to catch up at a later date. For the best experience, we recommend joining live.
How do I register?
All you need to do is click the link below and fill in the Zoom registration form. You’ll then receive an automatic email via Zoom with the joining details.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.