Getting care and support for your family member

It can be difficult to work out how to get all the care and support your family member may need. This page has information on where to find information and support.

What's in the 'Information for family members' section?

It can be difficult to work out how to get the care and support your family member needs, especially if you have never had to do it before. If you aren’t sure what to do, the best people to speak to are the specialist nurse or consultant (doctor) in the multidisciplinary team at the hospital.

It may help to learn more about the different treatments your family member may be offered. We also have information about symptoms and side effects people with pancreatic cancer may experience and how these can be managed

Caring for your family member at home

Many people live a long way from their hospital or care for their family member at home, so it’s important to be aware of local services in the community. For example, you might need help from a community nurse at home. These services support families as well as people who are ill, so make sure you ask for support if you need it.

You may also want to think about social care, and if you may need help from a care worker at home. Care workers can help with everyday care, including washing, dressing, or housework such as cooking, cleaning or shopping.

It can sometimes take time to organise care and support at home, so try to find out what is available in your area before you need it. Your family member’s GP can help you with this. Community services often provide access to practical support, such as equipment or transport to the hospital.

Read more about local nursing support

Managing symptoms and side effects

If you are caring for someone with pancreatic cancer, one of the best ways you can help is by knowing a bit about symptoms and what to do to help. Common symptoms include pain, problem with eating and digesting food, feeling extremely tired and feeling or being sick.

People will get different symptoms at different stages of their cancer. It can help if you know about the main symptoms, what to do about them and where to get help if you need it.

We have information on different symptoms and side effects and how these can be managed.

Managing symptoms and side effects

What can you do to help with symptoms and side effects?

You can contact our specialist nurses on our free Support Line at ant time. They can answer questions, talk through concerns and help you work out what to do or who else to talk to.

Symptoms towards the end of life

If your family member is in the last few months or weeks of their life, their symptoms may change or they may get new symptoms. Read about symptoms at the end of life and what to expect. Looking after someone with pancreatic cancer who is nearing the end of their life can feel overwhelming. We have information that can help take some of the pressure off and help you find support for you. Read more about caring for someone at the end of life.