How to take pancreatic enzymes
Make sure you take PERT properly, to help it work well.
- Take PERT with all meals and snacks. You should also take it with drinks that are more than half milk.
- Swallow the capsules whole, with a couple of sips of a cool drink. The enzymes won’t work properly if you take them with hot drinks. Read about what to do if you struggle to swallow capsules.
- Take half the capsules with the first few mouthfuls of food. Spread the other half out during the meal.
- You will need more enzymes for larger meals or meals with several courses. You will also need more for fatty food. For example, take extra capsules with takeaways, roasted or fried food, puddings, or food with lots of cheese or chocolate.
- If you take nutritional supplements, you will need to take enzymes with these as well.
- Do not chew the capsules as this can cause a sore mouth.
- Don’t worry if you forget to take your enzymes. Just take the usual dose with your next meal or snack. You may have some symptoms for the next day or two, but this will improve.
- Do not store the capsules in hot places as this can stop them working properly. For example, do not leave them in the car, near radiators, in direct sunlight, or in trouser pockets.
- You don’t need to take the capsules if you are not eating or drinking. They only work when taken with food.